Monday, April 7, 2008

Doug's New Direction

Last week I had the good fortune to speak with one of my former students at Cornell. Doug, an amazingly bright and focused senior is preparing for life after college. He spent the last four years being a leader, mentor, and research assistant in a chemistry lab. From the moment I first started supervising him, it seemed that he was one of the few students who had a very clear direction for the future. Doug's analytical mind and disciplined personality steered him toward a life as a scientist. While others floundered, his path appeared to be well-defined.

However, during our most recent conversation, Doug explained to me that his vision for the future had changed. With graduation only a few months away, he decided to apply to jobs in a variety of different fields. I'm sure there were many in his life who found this news disappointing, but I was thrilled. I could not wait to hear about the diverse array of opportunities he planned to explore. I knew this excursion away from the perfect life he planned was just what he needed to create his own very special path.

Our discussion conjured up several memories of when I've changed directions in life. Unlike Doug, I can't recall a time when I have been absolutely certain about anything. I kept my college advisors and the Registrar's office hopping all four years of undergrad. I had several different majors and even more career interests. After two years of intense graduate work at an ivy league institution, I got married and headed to the Bay Area where my husband lived and worked. My precious graduate degree was relegated to being a nice wall decoration as I could not secure a job in my intended field. We relocated so many times after that, my family began to write our address in pencil. With each move, I had to discover or rediscover an interest. The journey was both frustrating and exhilarating!

All the transitions let me know that I'm not only as flexible as a 12 year old gymnast, but also that I create my happiness. A job, career, or hobby can never define me. I am able to see each endeavor as a part of a specific component of a larger picture. Regardless of how many times I move from one component to another, my purpose is still the same. As I shared with Doug, what you do is not nearly as important as what the job means to you. When you find something meaningful to commit yourself to, you've found something more powerful than a simple occupation could ever be.

No comments: