Friday, March 21, 2008

Acting or Dating?

When I made the decision several months ago to pursue a full-time career in acting, like most young hopefuls I began researching agents. Finding a good agent who believes in you and has the clout to get you in doors otherwise closed to you, is like finding the hidden cloud land in Super Mario Brothers. It is a lower stress, yet higher return wonderland of coins waiting to be pocketed. The hustle becomes much easier and there are definite monetary rewards (if, indeed you know what you are doing). Good agents increase the number of opportunities you have to showcase your talent in front of casting directors, which in turn increases your chances of getting parts.

While life after getting an agent seems fabulous, the process of getting one is taxing. It is much like dating the handsome captain of the football team - everyone wants him! On top of that, he duly informs you that he has many other girlfriends who have more experience than you. Even if you are a stunner, he may already have your type. After an audition or a workshop meet and greet, you wait for him to call the whole time wondering if you were good enough, cute enough or different enough to "date."

Last night I attended my fourth agent workshop of 2008. I really liked this guy and thought we had a great time. However, I felt the same way about the last guy. We genuinely connected, but I haven't heard from him since. I never had this problem in real life dating, but I used some strategies that may be frowned upon in the business world. (wink, wink) So, I guess I'll join the other near-desperate and agentless actresses. We'll paint our toenails, eat ice cream out of the container, and roll each other's hair together while we await our knight with the golden rolodex.

No comments: