Monday, March 17, 2008

Welcome to My World

Today I enjoyed a rare treat. I was able to head off to work before my husband. For those of you who have partners or roommates who leave before you have to roll out of bed, you'll appreciate my situation. Typically, Mike shuffles around several minutes after the alarm sounds in preparation for a morning workout. Most days, he jingles the keys incessantly before heading out the door. While I'm sure he doesn't intend to disrupt my lottery winning dreams, inevitably he does. Once he is off to the gym, I slowly fall back asleep underneath a pile of covers and a saggy pillow. No sooner than I have the lottery ticket in my hand again, he storms back into the house, breathing heavy and sighing. Then I quietly suffer through another half hour of lights flickering, water running and clothes jostling.

This morning, revenge was mine! I gleefully popped out of bed at 5:20 a.m. to prepare for my first call to "As the World Turns." I rushed around as quietly as I could so as not to disturb him as much as he disturbs me. I must admit, I did take pleasure watching him squirm beneath the covers. I knew the squirm all too well. It is the most frustrating time of all when you have been tossed from the bosom of your slumber. There you were sleeping like a newborn and you know in your heart of hearts, you will not achieve that level of relaxation again. "Poor Mike", I thought as I scurried from the bathroom to the kitchen and back again.

After a long train ride to Brooklyn, I finally arrived at the studio. Once I was settled in, I checked my e-mail. Mike wrote a lovely note of encouragement. He also shared that my morning preparation noises ruined his sleep. I couldn't help but chuckle thinking of all the mornings I contemplated hurling my pillow into the shower to stop him from humming or better yet take those keys and stomp on them. Welcome to my world, darling.

No comments: