Tuesday, March 18, 2008

That's Just Tacky

The turmoil in the financial sector created a somber mood over the past few weeks. Everyday, another layer of bad news is peeled away from the banking industry onion. Bankruptcy, layoffs, and slumping stock prices pepper the headlines. While most news stories focus on the impersonal facts and figures of it all, we must be reminded that people are ultimately impacted by these drastic events. Families suffer, not just stock prices.

Perhaps one New York real estate agent failed to see the personal side of this issue. Armed with business cards and no doubt his best designer suit, he headed over to the Bear Stearns office to drum up some business. Assuming that many Bear employees would need to relocate, this agent decided to announce that he was ready and willing to list their properties. He stood in front of the building and actually had the nerve to execute this horrendous plan on a day when the Wall Street Journal all but had a special insert outlining the collapse of the company.

Those who know me understand that I'm all about making a dollar out of fifteen cents. I try to find a business opportunity wherever I go, but there are lines that even I won't cross. This guy is no better than a funeral home director passing out fliers at a disaster site. Bear employees are undoubtedly attempting to make sense of their situation and most certainly don't need to be solicited by a wacky, tacky real estate pusher. And quite honestly, if I were an employee who happened upon this soul-less pitch, I would have taken as many cards as I could possibly hold. This way, I would not have to use my own materials for the "anti-agent" campaign. Regardless of my own employment situation, I would always be busy making sure this realtor never got work.

No comments: